Do you have pelvic aches and pains during pregnancy, or have been told that your baby is in posterior, transverse or breech position? Are you determined to have a vaginal birth?
Virginia uses a holistic approach to pregnancy care by utilising different bodywork techniques such as Mizan therapy pregnancy massage, Birth Healing, Holistic Pelvic Care as well as Optimal Foetal Positioning techniques (ie Spinning Babies and Maternal Optimal Positioning), to help align the pelvis, reduce common pregnancy discomforts and to create space to help baby get into optimal position for birth, thereby reducing the chance of caesarean and the associated risks with this major abdominal surgery.
“Mom’s job is to dilate, but baby’ s job is to rotate. When baby’s job is easier, labor is easier for mother as well.” ~ Gail Tully (Spinning Babies®)
What To Expect In A Session with Virginia
Treating yourself to a Holistic Pregnancy Bodywork session with Virginia is relaxing and enjoyable for both you and your baby. Unlike regular pregnancy massage which concentrates mainly on the back, arms and legs, we will focus on the belly, sacrum and pelvis which encompasses your baby. Virginia will adjust the pelvic bones where needed to open up the space, gently stretch the body in different positions to release the abdominal muscles, ligaments and fascia, massage the belly and sacrum to promote circulation, and in subsequent appointments where needed, may use internal pelvic floor trigger point therapy intravaginally… all so you can be more than ready to birth your baby. Some of the benefits you may find during or after a bodywork session:
- It can help to resolve the symptoms of SPD/PGP
- Relieves common discomforts of pregnancy such as indigestion, heartburn, nausea, low back ache, sciatica, pressure and burning sensation in groin area, constipation, headaches, leg discomfort including varicose veins, frequent urination, incontinence and urinary tract infections
- Encourages the baby and uterus into optimal positioning to facilitate pregnancy, labour and birth (regular treatments can shorten the length of labour and birth, even for first time mums).
- Tones, strengthens and balances the uterus preparing for labour and birth
- Synchronizes mum and baby for birth
- Supports mum and baby relationship by stimulating an increased release of oxytocin, fosters bonding and prepares the uterus and placenta for labour and birth
- Increases circulation to mum and baby
- Reduces tension and anxiety
- Releases tight ligaments and muscles which can twist the uterus out of alignment causing pain, discomfort and misaligned babies, which in turn aims to…
- Open the pelvis and allow the baby to descend without obstruction.
- Addresses emotional issues on a cellular level and sets healing in motion. In Primal Health, Michael Odent says that the baby’s immune system is developed in the womb and the hormonal reactions of the mother during pregnancy play a role in the health of the baby for the rest of his or her life.
“I had the most beautiful pregnancy session with Virginia to hep turn my posterior bub into a better position for birth using Mizan therapy and Spinning Babies techniques.
I felt calm, relaxed and most importantly safe and in good hands.
I’m so glad I had this session. It was gentle and very effective and I am almost certain it’s the cause of my very smooth and short labour.
Thanks so much Virginia!”
~ Rhiannon Cruz
So if you have been suffering from physical discomfort during your pregnancy, you have been told that your baby is breech, transverse or posterior position, or you just want to increase your chances of vaginal birth, get in touch so I can help prepare your body and baby for birth. (In the case of breech babies, moxibustion can also be used to help baby turn head down).
[Note: Virginia does not do ECV (External Cephalic Version) for breech babies. This must only be done by an experienced obstetrician, but getting your body balanced by Virginia first can either negate the need, or increase the success of an ECV!]
Virginia has done the following education in these techniques:
- Spinning Babies workshop within the Midwifery Today Conference in Byron Bay with Gail Tully (Nov 2014)
- 1 day Spinning Babies workshop with Ginny Phang: Brisbane (10th May 2017)
- 2 x 1 day Spinning Babies workshop with Ginny Phang: Sydney (August 2017)
- 5 day Certificate of Mizan Therapy: Sydney (Nov 2017)
- 2 day Spinning Babies Meets Bodywork workshop with Gail Tully and Marcello Windolph: Sydney (March 2018)
- 4 day Spinning Babies Meets Birthwork Retreat with Gail Tully, Jenny Blyth, Fiona Hallinan and Marcello Windolph: Sunshine Coast (March 2018)
- 3 day Certificate of Pregnancy Massage (Pregnancy Massage Australia) – November 2018, Sydney
- 3 day Mizan Therapy Pregnancy and Post Natal Certificate (Bushra Finch) – November 2018, Melbourne
- 3 day Urogenital Osteopathy Grade 1 Certificate (Natalie Lejeune) – December 2018, Hobart
- 4 day Holistic Pelvic Care Certificate (Tami Lynn Kent) – March 2019, Gold Coast
- 1 day Optimal Maternal Positioning workshop (Ginny Phang) – May 2019, Melbourne
- 4 day Holistic Treatment of the Pregnant and Postpartum Body Certificate (Lynn Schulte) – June 2019, Melbourne
- 1 day Optimal Maternal Positioning workshop (Ginny Phang) – November 2019, Sydney